Do you ever stop to think if there is anything you can do to help your trees prepare for winter? Well, if you live in the New Berlin or Brookfield area, you will be happy to know that there are several things you can do to help ready your trees for winter, thus ensuring lovely, healthy trees come spring and warmer temperatures.
- Pruning: It is important to make sure your trees are clear of any dead wood and are pruned (according to their species type) before winter temps hit. This is important due to the fact that snow or ice can accumulate on weak limbs and branches, which may pose a threat to power lines, walkways or your home.
- Mulch: It is important to add an extra layer of mulch around your trees. The mulch acts as an insulation for tree roots and saplings which can be damaged by the repeated freezing and thawing which causes soil to expand and contract. It is recommended to add 2 to 3 inches of mulch around the base of your trees in late fall or early winter.
- Water: Be sure to water your trees well through the fall, before the ground freezes. Water acts as an insulator and will help to protect plant cells against cold damage that winter may cause. Also, damp soil tends to stay warmer and will help to protect the roots.
As winter progresses, keep the following maintenance in mind to further help ensure the health of your trees and other landscaping.
- If you do use an ice melting product in proximity of your trees and plants, be sure to avoid any that contain sodium chloride. Rock salt interferes with the roots’ ability to absorb water, oxygen and other nutrients. Instead choose products containing potassium, magnesium chloride, or calcium.
- Be sure to gently remove snow from tree limbs after heavy storms. This way you have less chance of broken or damaged limbs. It also eliminates potential hazards and accidents to you, your property or others.
- Do not break off ice build up on your trees. Instead hook up a hose to hot water and melt the ice off.
Wisconsin winters can be brutal. However, if you follow these few simple tips you can help your trees to thrive, even in the chilliest of temperatures! Call Dan’s Tree Service today for all of your tree trimming needs in the New Berlin area.